Check out my page
dedicated to The Five Star Stories and Work Shop Cast (link opens in a new window)
五星物語重戰機專頁 (另開新頁)
http://www.geocities.jp/ingenhk0083/

Friday, February 12, 2016

WSC Vatshu The Black Knight 進度五

Pinning in-depth.
Work Shop Cast FSS kits are mostly free-pose kits, the builders will have a certain degree of freedom on the posture. The hips, ankles, shoulders and elbows will be jointed by ball shaped connections.
For tips on posing a Mortar Headd model, go to Posture of Mortar Headds page.
Before pinning the hips and ankles, I'll have the torso, shoulders and knees pinned already, the torso and shoulders will be used as a guide for alignment.
I have the shoulders and knees pinned as explained in the Basic Pinning page. I used 1.5mm brass rod for the knees, 2.0mm and 1.0mm rods for the shoulders. I stuffed blue-tac around them so I won't have to hold them with my hands for prolonged time.
Posted Image

Check for symmetry with the grids on a cutting mat. Let them set for 4 hours(depends on the type of epoxy used.).
Posted ImagePosted Image

While the epoxy on the shoulder and knees is being harden. I can drill holes on the male sides of the hip and ankle joints.
The angle of the pin is relevent to the leg's spread and toe angle. I drilled a 2.0mm hole, and a 1.0mm hole seperately to prevent rotation.
Posted Image

Make sure the 2 rods are parallel to each other.
Posted Image

Upon further inspection, I felt something odd with the knees, they look dislocated, even though the angle is correct.
Refer to the Posture of Mortar Headds page to decide the angle of the knee.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I tried to test fit the pieces to the back of the knees, there are gaps that will not close. I decided to undo the pinning.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I would pull the pin out, then dig out the epoxy. The tight holes I drilled previously should always be the tight side. Always drill the side with the epoxy when re-doing steps, so there won't be 2 sides with two loose hole and epoxy stuffing.
Posted Image

I removed the pins and drilled new hole on the sides with epoxy. Redo the pinning steps.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Meanwhile, I will prepare the holes on the hip and ankle joints, I used enamel paint to mark them this time.
Posted Image

I prefer to have tight holes on the male side of the joint(the side with the ball shape), and have loose holes on the female side.
Posted Image

No comments: